Dear contemporary mother,


Today I saw a boy of about 7 years standing and staring outside from his bedroom window. With a firm grip on the grills, I saw him cry as he watched his mum vanish into a taxi heading to the city. He cried louder when the taxi roared as she lowered the backseat window to wave goodbye. I felt something in my throat and in my eyes, like a sharp pain and tears.

She’s left him with her parents back in the village where she visits, barely. This is what the boy has been used to for at least 7 years. A mum who shows up for two days and probably once annually. She is not so busy at the city but she just does not want to be at the village, I suppose. Where most people know she is not just a young pretty woman but a mother who bore a son in her teens.

Because I know better, I wouldn’t want to judge a teenage/single mother though I need to ask, ’’What do you see in your son when you visit, just a child who doesn’t know a thing? Do you know he feels you are not there for him, that you cannot be relied upon because like seasons  you come and go?’’ He has never known where you go to, he does not get your presents, he does not know what keeps you so far from him.
Children are vulnerable to emotions,
they need to be shielded
.

I wish I knew how to console him, but I only hugged him and said she will be back soon. I lied and walked away because I didn’t want to weep with him. Does he feel that abandoned every day of the year? What is she doing out there without even trying to be close to him.
 Even single mothers try. 
They defend their children from physical and emotional abuse. You do not get to avoid your child because you brought them to this life. You don’t get to love yourself or the city boyfriend  more than this boy. You do not get to party on a weekend and come to the village empty handed or to take a sneek peek at him and a few pictures for amusement. 
I am sorry for the boy and every other child out there left alone to figure things out. I wish every young mother out here will want to care and protect their young one. The society doesn’t condemn you, but abhorrs irresponsible motherhood that leaves them to suffer. These are the same people who in future keep wondering how messed up the youth are, but don’t you worry, you did this to them.

Yours,
A saddened soul.   

    






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Survival for the loudest chap

Cold Feet

The Zombie Apocalypse