Cold Feet

“It’s obvious that by now you know I like you a lot.”

“What?” I retort with a cheeky face I make when I’m trying to downplay these situations.

“I do, and it feels like you’re stealing my heart ma’am.”

“But I am a career criminal Sir, you shouldn’t be surprised.” My humour kicks in and I’m getting excited.

“I can’t have you running in the streets free like that, I should cuff you sometime.”

“Well, catch me if you can!” and I cough faintly.

“Ok, get your witty ass in we got to go.”  

I have a cold but he says we should go out. He insists and fine, I let him have it. I could manage. We drive off to grab some burgers at the mall and catch up in an open space. He says staying indoors and cuddling up with my teddy bear, Bubbles, doesn’t help. He speaks like an indigenous Kenyan and I totally understand.

He says I look good today. With my blue cardigan sweater, jeans and bata ngomas. “But my eyes are bloodshot don’t you see? “But I said what I said Monique.” His inner self must have probably yelled a did-I-stutter! Ok, Steve says I look good guys, and so be it. He looks even better, I could tell he tried to impress. His cologne makes me want to hug him and soak in it. His face so smooth I would paddle his pointed nose all day and laugh it out. “Oh, you too!” goes my response.

I am anxious and elated at the same time but poising so composed he wouldn’t notice. It’s always a good time with Steve. As you may guess by now we are laughing our lungs out all the way there. He says I laugh too much and so does my boss. It’s a fact though I was almost sent to weed the shamba in highschool for it by the deputy headmistress.

The burgers they serve here are not as huge as the monies they charge us for, sigh! Who cares though, my mind is on bigger things right now, his smile, muscles, his heart… I am struggling to multitask the eating and chuckling and blushing but I finish the burger anyway. For anyone who knows me knows my food gets cold before I am halfway through for how slow of a feeder I am, but that’s good because we get to spend more time.

He says he had a lengthy talk with his dog last night and she might have mentioned wanting to meet me. I only see her grace on video calls but she wants a face to face meet, preferably next weekend. “A walk at Karura will do, I’ll see you at 3 pm.” He will, how do you say no to Steve?

We are through and we stop at a grocery shop on our way back. He says he needs to grab some things while I wait in the car. He comes back with a sealed brown bag and hands it to me and on asking about its contents he says I should open when I get home. I love surprises and he knows just how and when to be mysterious, alrighty.

The day is wrapping up and on getting home it’s a little too chilly. He drops me off at the gate and I walk out shaking as the cold air hits me unexpectedly.

“You know you can always ask me to keep you warm Monique.”

“Pray for me Steve.”

“And I still like you Monique.”

I ‘Ah-haa’ with my cheeky face on and quickly hop inside and wave goodbye. I wanted to hug him but it must have been the weather that gave me cold feet. Must be.

I couldn’t get to the door without opening the brown bag. Inside were lemons, turmeric, honey and ginger. Who is he anyway? Thought they don’t make any of his kind in this bare minimum era. I like him. Damn, I always have.

Comments

  1. You write so beautifully, the inside of your mind must be every dreamer's dream. Never met a girl so fine so gifted❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb!!...I'm here scrolling for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you might just find sth... Thanks ☺️

      Delete
  3. Niice piece there always creative.. keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  4. Real good Monique as always...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always psyched up reading your blogs. They are creative and unique in a way 😊😊. All the best dear

    ReplyDelete
  6. just love the blogs.........................i think am ur no 1 fan.........and cuzin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love this piece only this is it's too short

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😂😂 Short to make sure you finish it, and thank you❤️

      Delete

Post a Comment

Yey, you read!

Popular posts from this blog

Survival for the loudest chap

The Zombie Apocalypse